Potential move

Back in June, I tried to renew my REP online (expiring in Sep this year) but predictably it wasn't successful. "Are you currently living in Singapore?" No. "Are you currently working in Singapore?" No. (N.B: questions aren't verbatim).

However, recently I re-read the e-mail response and noted that I will lose my Singapore PR if I remain outside Singapore without a valid REP. In other words, I get to keep my PR if I stay in Singapore, right?

I then e-mailed ICA on a Friday night asking this question and stating that I plan to move back to Singapore in a few weeks time. In addition, I would establish (have to do this anyway) a sole proprietorship business to provide freelance actuarial work for qualified actuaries in Singapore. On Saturday morning, I then re-applied online to renew my REP but this time adding some information explaining why I was not working in Singapore and that I plan to move back to Singapore after my dad's surgery in September.

To my amazement, ICA replied on that Saturday afternoon itself in 2 e-mails: one was a direct reply to my e-mail enquiry and the other notified me of the result of my online application. In short, after having considered my situation, they renewed my REP until end of this year to give me time to relocate. Subsequent renewal depends on my contribution to Singapore's economy and status of my residency.

Consequently, both Ban and I were headless chickens on that Saturday, trying to figure out the best way of doing this. After a few twists and turns, we decided to wait for the outcome of his job application (there is only one job in Singapore for him!) and then get accommodation. If all go well (including my dad's recovery from surgery), I'll be in Singapore by 1st week of October and be there continuously at least until late December.

Wish me good luck!

Comments

William said…
Such an unexpected development. Hope all the pieces fall into place.
Twilight Man said…
They are so strict and crazy at times. I wish could elaborate all my rants here but I have to respect your blog. LOL
One Penang friend simply grabbed a lousy and irrelevant job just to put his foot inside. He rose along the way quickly and the rest is history. Now lives along Holland Road and drives a new BMW..!
Jaded Jeremy said…
William,
Thanks!

Twilight Man,
Wah, your friend made it big time.

Popular posts from this blog

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 1)

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - character build (Part 2)

Strange expectorant